Thursday, November 22, 2007

Being Thankful



I woke up this morning excited to head out for a run on a beautiful 70-degree day. I ran for about 4 minutes before getting a ridiculous stomach cramp that forced me to bring my run to a slow walk. I was pretty pissed off at first...how could this horrible pain be ruining my run?! How dare it. As I walked, I thought about what could be responsible for causing the cramp...hmmm...I wonder...maybe it was the Tanqueray and Tonics I drank last night or the pizza that followed them. (What - were you thinking trainers don't party on the night before Thanksgiving?)

It dawned on me as I kept walking how little respect we have for our own fragility. We put our bodies through a lot of stress - drinking alcohol, lack of sleep, eating processed sugars and excess fats, sitting all day long - on a daily basis and then expect them to cope with all of it flawlessly. No wonder I had a cramp.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my health and that of my friends and family. This post sends well wishes to all of us in the hopes that we will continue to be healthy, strong, and cramp-free.

This is a picture of me squatting our Thanksgiving turkey carcass last year, a time when I hadn't yet dropped my picture-taking razor phone in the toilet and I was, apparently, in dire need of a haircut. This year I am thankful for having reconnected with my friend, Keith, who chops my hair regularly, never letting me go too long without a funky fresh cut. I'm also thankful that I never trashed my original Nokia cell phone. It's about as big as a brick, but saved me $300.

No comments: