Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Office Stretching & Workstation Ergonomics

My girlfriend, Emily, recently moved from a very physically active day job to a fairly sedentary one. To make matters worse, the new job is located in a neighborhood that is not terribly safe, rendering walks at lunch time out of the question.

Having few options for a change of scenery during the day, she asked me (weeks ago, I've been slacking!) if I could post some stretches that can be done within the office to alleviate the tight muscles that come with repetitive work at a computer desk station.

I decided not to re-invent the wheel for this one... The Mayo Clinic presents a slide show on their website featuring 9 stretches that can be completed at your desk. One of the back stretches is displayed with this post. Clear here to view the complete routine.

In addition, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have a comprehensive website explaining workstation ergonomics. This will teach you proper positioning of your desk, chair, computer monitor and keyboard, phone, mouse, and much more, minimizing your chance of suffering repetitive overuse injuries of the neck, shoulder, back, arms and wrist. Click here for the CDC website.

1 comment:

cathy said...

I had someone evaluate my space after having carpal tunnel surgery and much discomfort prior to it. The advice did help but I found that a lifetime of bad habits takes a long time to break. And of course it doesn't help that
the CDC recommends not using a laptop as your primary computer because that's all I've got. For me the best advice is mini-breaks (also helps to clear the head and gives the eyes a rest)and good lighting.
Lindsey, that first link to the exercises is taking me to a Verizon site. Could be my ignorance in navigating but I don't think so.