Sunday, June 8, 2008

Air Conditioner Deadlift

Ok, ok...I know I'm getting a little carried away here with this whole no-gym-needed concept, but rest assured, I am not suggesting that you do 3 sets of 12 deadlifts with your window unit. It occurred to me though, hauling the A/C upstairs this morning, that it would be pretty easy to injure yourself lifting one of these monsters improperly - or not being strong enough to lift one in the first place. 

So, if you know this job would be better left to someone a little bit burlier, invite said friend over and offer him/her a cocktail in exchange for the lifting and installation. If you are going about this yourself, keep a few things in mind for your own safety:

  • Clear the path from the A/C to the window before you pick up the unit.
  • Squat down to pick up the A/C, keeping your back flat.
  • Come to a stand the same way you squatted down, with a flat back.
  • As you come to a stand, keep your abdomen very tight to stabilize your spine. 
  • Lift with your legs, not your back. The joint angle will change at your knees and hips, but your spine should stay extended throughout the movement. 
  • Make sure you have someone to help you secure the A/C within the window. 


4 comments:

cathy said...

You make it look as easy as turkey carcass squats. But seriously this is one of the seasonal tasks I hate...those damn things are back pain waiting to happen.

I would add one tip: allow 20 extra minutes if you have a helper who wants to micro-measure the space several times and impart the full breadth of his knowledge about air conditioners while doing so.

Sorry for the inside jokes. This is useful information when lifting anything heavy and bulky.

Unknown said...

Oh my - this TOTALLY made me think of the turkey-carcass squats. YYEESS!! NIce tip.

Anonymous said...

There's a study out by Dutch researchers (http://www.enn.com/lifestyle/article/37368)
that claims that, at least in The Netherlands, people living in lush, green areas get less exercise than people living in urban areas. This doesn't surprise me, especially because people in urban areas wind up walking/biking more often to get place, but I thought it was another great example of how you don't need a gym or a huge open green space to get exercise, and that even the most densely populated areas offer plenty of chances to get your heart rate up.

Darn - so now there's seriously no excuse to not work out.

cathy said...

Hi, Ellen, I hope Boston is treating you well. I read the article and I have another thought on green and open spaces. I run Forbidden Drive in the Fairmount Park system but I do it when it will be more heavily populated so I guess what I'm saying is safety is always an issue. If you're exercising in wide open spaces and become physically incapacitated or if a predator is lurking who will come to your aid? That may be my paranoia speaking but maybe also a deterrent? Or a completely stupid observation which as you see I'm not afraid to make. Just ask my kids.