- Clear the path from the A/C to the window before you pick up the unit.
- Squat down to pick up the A/C, keeping your back flat.
- Come to a stand the same way you squatted down, with a flat back.
- As you come to a stand, keep your abdomen very tight to stabilize your spine.
- Lift with your legs, not your back. The joint angle will change at your knees and hips, but your spine should stay extended throughout the movement.
- Make sure you have someone to help you secure the A/C within the window.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Air Conditioner Deadlift
Ok, ok...I know I'm getting a little carried away here with this whole no-gym-needed concept, but rest assured, I am not suggesting that you do 3 sets of 12 deadlifts with your window unit. It occurred to me though, hauling the A/C upstairs this morning, that it would be pretty easy to injure yourself lifting one of these monsters improperly - or not being strong enough to lift one in the first place.
So, if you know this job would be better left to someone a little bit burlier, invite said friend over and offer him/her a cocktail in exchange for the lifting and installation. If you are going about this yourself, keep a few things in mind for your own safety: