Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Join the Yogurt Brigade!

We are about to collect LOTS of yogurt cups.
And save the environment.
And donate to a local non-profit.
No, forreal though. 

I just signed up to collect Stonyfield yogurt cups as part of the Yogurt Brigade, a pilot program run through a hip new eco-friendly company called Terracycle. As explained on the website, Terracycle aims to recycle the yogurt cups into planting pots: 

"Every year millions of yogurt containers end up in garbage and landfills. Stonyfield Farm, the organic food leader and environmental pioneer, is partnering with Terracycle in a pilot program aimed at collecting used yogurt containers and reusing them as planting pots. TerraCycle will then sell planting pots to large retailers who currently use black plastic planting pots, millions of which are discarded by consumers every year."

Even cooler than turning trash into usable stuff? Terracycle will donate 2 cents for every 6 oz yogurt cup and 5 cents for every 32-ouncer to Back On My Feet (my non-profit of choice). For more info on BOMF, click here to check out my blog post or visit their website at: www.backonmyfeet.org

What you can do: Save your Stonyfield yogurt cups!! Stack them in your basement or in a closet or right by the trash can so you don't forget to throw them away. If you know me and see me, you can hand them off at any point. Over the next couple weeks, I will be working on putting together drop off points and will make rounds periodically through the city to collect! 
Email me at lindsey.schweiger@gmail.com if you will be saving your yogurt cups so I can keep you posted on collections. Spread the word by guiding your friends, family, and co-workers to this post! 

No comments: