Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Take a Walk. Eat Gelato.

The forecast for Thursday afternoon is 70 degrees and sunny. Catch spring fever: park your car on the edge of the city, walk to Capogiro, and eat the best tasting gelato EVER.

Capogiro, with two locations in Philly (13th and Sansom; 20th and Sansom), is a family-owned gelato producer devoted to using seasonal ingredients and milk from local, grass-fed and hormone-free cows.

I know, you're thinking, But isn't that fattening? Why is a trainer telling me to eat ice cream? Gelato, the Italian version of ice cream, actually has half the fat and half the calories of ice cream. It is a denser dessert, containing less air, so more of its flavor reaches the palate. When I go, I order a small (portion control - holla!). It will look kiddie-sized, but I promise, it is more than enough.

Plus, I am advocating that you walk. If you park in Fairmount near the Art Museum or on one of the Schuylkill River bridges in West Philly (where you'll find parking more easily than in the heart of the city), it will take you a 15-20 minute walk to arrive at Capogiro. By the time you walk back to the car, you'll have expended the calories you just enjoyed consuming.

And if that's not enough convincing, Capogiro will let you sample the flavors until you find the one or two you like best.

3 comments:

cathy said...

You've convinced me. I am so happy to hear that gelato is not as sinful as ice cream because it is one of my fave desserts which I never indulge in because it tastes so good it has to be bad. I will definitely try Capogiro which I'm assuming should never be mentioned in the same breath as Rita's?

Chere Amie said...

Can I also suggest that you order a kids cone? It's HALF the price, once flavor and a delicious cone. The serving is just the right size.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Capo-G, great post!! I shall be walking there soon!!